Today is National Empanada Day! No, I won't be sharing an empanada recipe today but I AM sharing the recipe for the super delicious and healthy salsa that accompanies empanadas called pebre. What I like about this recipe- since I'm not an exact person when it comes to following recipes- is that you can adjust the quantity of ingredients to your liking. For example, as much as I love garlic, garlicy pebre is too much for me. So in my house we use a little garlic only. Pebre is used as a side to anything really, but empanadas more typically. The ingredients are fresh (nothing processed) which means pebre is a whole food!
- 2 tomatoes (ripe), cut into small cubes
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped (stems included)
- -1/4 - 1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped (parsley is optional, but I love to include it)
- Garlic to taste, finely chopped (I use 1 clove but most people use more than that)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, approx.
- 2-3 tablespoons warm water
- squeeze lemon
- salt to taste
Easy. Once ingredients are chopped, add them to a bowl and mix. If chopping isn't your thing, you can use a food processor- just don't puree the ingredients.
Let rest for a couple of hours before serving (ideally- I usually dig right in!)