Updated: Nov 3, 2020
I've always wondered what a no-sugar added banana bread would taste like...since bananas (especially over ripe ones) are really sweet. I finally got around to trying it out. And it actually has a decent sweetness level. I used whole grain spelt flour and mixed that with an all-purpose gluten-free flour. So it's wheat-free but not gluten-free. I also added oats for extra fibre. I used unsweetened Baker's chocolate for my chocolate chips. I was at the supermarket yesterday and there were no unsweetened chocolate chips in the baking section, but they did have some in the health food section. They were, however, nine bucks so... no thank you. Baker's chocolate it was. Gave me something fun to do with my kid anyhow (break up the chocolate). Bananas should be really ripe, frozen, then thawed. You don't have to use the flour combinations I used. I generally like to combine different flours and I particularly like spelt flour. All purpose gluten-free flour has added xanthan gum and other thickeners so will help make your bread more fluffy. If you'd like to follow the recipe exactly, it really is deliciously healthy banana bread.
4 bananas, frozen, thawed, mashed
1 apple, grated
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any unsweetened milk or dairy milk)
1 cup whole grain spelt flour
1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 cup organic oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup avocado oil
4 unsweetened Baker's chocolate squares or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. In a large bowl, mash banana. Add grated apple, egg, almond milk, avocado oil and vanilla. Blend well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flours, oats, baking soda and powder, cinnamon. Mix.
4. Chop up chocolate squares into chunks.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
6. Grease bread tin with butter or coconut oil. Pour in batter.
7. Bake for 50 minutes approx. Check at 40 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick or knife inserted into cake comes out clean. But you may get melted chocolate!
8. Let cool before serving.